Sunday, August 16, 2009

Celebrate Brooklyn resistance and solidarity


Yesterday was a good day.

In the afternoon Meena and I went to this coffee place called Outpost in Fort Greene. We had been chatting it up about job interviews and after awhile this guy came in and needed an outlet for his laptop. We invited him to come share the couch, chair, and table that we had taken over in a nook of the place & we ended up talking for a couple hours. It was such a great and timely connection to make.

Our new friend Rasu is the co-founder of an arts collective called Coup d'etat located in Bed Stuy, where Meena lives & where I hope to work. He gave me a really useful history of the neighborhood that helped me put into context the feelings I have about the neighborhood. I have this feeling of connection to the community there that is catalyzed when I ride through and have small exchanges with people there.

Before I left Outpost Rasu looked up the address of the school I'm interviewing at on Wednesday, and I went to take a look. I am visualizing myself there.

In the evening there was music at the annual Big She- Bang, a day-long feminist teach-in event that I had intended to go to, had I not run into Rasu who had knowledge that was real useful to me. I got to see Ina! Ina! and several other really great bands, as well as meet up with different friends, who I knew to be feminists but did not know I would have the pleasure to see. Hooray for Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment