Thursday, August 13, 2009

Mutual Aid: Alternative Currency


Check out this new organization I joined. The timebank model is new to NYC, and its membership is growing despite the City's undying love of money. TINY had its first monthly potluck this evening, and it was a blast. Good people sharing food, losing track of time.

Reality Sandwich has an article about the group that inspired me to join.

On my ride back home I got a little turned around & got directions from someone at a big, open-front rock climbing gym. Neat place. Maybe my little bro would go with me next time he comes to visit. He used to be into rock climbing.

Anyway, after a few blocks I got a little confused again, when I didn't realize 3rd Ave had forked into Lafayette. While waiting at a red light I asked a pedestrian coming from the direction I was headed if Lafayette was a few blocks up & he gently pointed out I was on Lafayette. Then he asked me where Atlantic Avenue was, and I told him just around the corner. Pleased with our successful outreach, we both smiled and laughed and in a totally blissed out moment of anarchist triumph we both said "Mutual Aid!" at the same time.

LOVE IT!!!!!
Budis K.

1 comment:

  1. Jct: Good for you. Best of all, when the local currency is pegged to the Time Standard of Money (how many dollars per unskilled hour child labor) Hours earned locally can be intertraded with other timebanks globally! In 1999, I paid for 39/40 nights in Europe with an IOU for a night back in Canada worth 5 Hours.
    U.N. Millennium Declaration UNILETS Resolution C6 to governments is for a time-based currency to restructure the global financial architecture.
    See http://youtube.com/kingofthepaupers on growth of the international time-trading network.

    ReplyDelete